Friday, November 28, 2008

Trials

Recently, I was reading in John and I came across a metaphor that really stuck me because it seemed really applicable to things I've been dealing with recently.  In John 16 Christ says, "Verily, verily, I say unto you, That ye shall weep and lament, but the world shall rejoice: and ye shall be sorrowful, but your sorrow shall be turned to joy.  A woman when she is in travail hath sorrow, because her hour is come: but as soon as she is delivered of the child, she remembereth no more the anguish, for the joy that a man is born into the world.  And ye now therefore have sorrow: but I will see you again, and your heart shall rejoice, and your joy no man taketh from you." (John 16:20-22).  I really was stuck by the idea of trial of the woman in travail.  I think our trials often work that way that we have to work through hard times to have the blessings that are awaiting us that will bring us infinite joy.  
I have been planning for a while to go to Eastern Europe to teach English.  My plan was to go next winter but recently I got the impression that I needed to go in January.  This kind of impulsive thing is so uncharacteristic of me that it has been really hard for me.  I really have to do a lot of things that are contrary to my nature to make it work.  Added to this some obstacles to going seem just impossible to overcome.  But everytime I conquer one of these obstacles, I feel really happy and proud of myself and I know that if I can get everything in order, this trip will bring me a lot of joy. 
I am glad that our Father in Heaven gives us trials that bring us joy.

No comments: